Saturday, September 15, 2007

Through the Misty Mountains

I feel compelled to mention the recent news that the legendary band Led Zeppelin is reuniting for a concert this fall. I won’t pretend to be a Led fanatic or expert, especially since my existence wasn’t even a thought at the height of their glory, but their music has become iconic to me as the essence of freedom and adventure. Props here to my sister Hilary, who has always been a step ahead of me with musical discoveries. Back in the days of early DC Talk and Audio Adrenaline, I would pound on her bedroom door to tell her to turn down that rock and roll crap so I could better enjoy the soothing voices of Point of Grace and Crystal Lewis. Not long after I was joining her in packed churches head-banging and dancing to the Supertones and other “hard” Christian music. Later Hilary would lead me to a variety of musical gems, like Damien Rice, Moby, Fatboy Slim, Belle & Sebastian, and a bazillion other quite diverse artists whom I might never have discovered without her (or just much later).

Anyway, Led Zeppelin. Their reunion coincides with the release of a greatest hits album (thought they’d already done that…), which will probably rock fairly hard. As I said, they are, to me, the essence of freedom and adventure. Why? Perfect road trip music through the great outdoors. The moment I hear the opening to “Black Dog”, I’m transported to the passenger seat of my sister’s ’91 silver-bullet Saab, winding through Poudre Canyon to camp in the Rocky Mountains. Windows rolled down. Feet bare. No make-up, no work, no cares-- just the sweet, crisp Colorado air and Robert Plant belting “been a long time since I rock and rolled!”…

Hilary, I miss you, and I want to go camping.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, little sister. If only you knew that when you were posting this blog, I was elbow-deep in orange paint for my living room, listening to none other than.....Led Zeppelin, and thinking the same thoughts. I was transported to the Rockies, Lake Tahoe, the Pacific Ocean. You flatter my musical intuition...all I do is copy. But while we're on the subject, I have a cd I think you'll love! I'm burning it right now...

Anonymous said...

Right on, send it my way. :-)

a) I want to see pics of your paint job.

b) Ultimate musical credit should really be given to Dad. I believe he was the one who introduced Led Zeppelin to the family in the first place, as well as a number of others.

Unknown said...

Can I go camping too?

Anonymous said...

Virginia come visit CA! You can crash in our apartment :)

Whitney said...

Yeah, V, it's time for a Mojave/Yosemite/SOMEplace-new trip!